Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Our Trip

I've been busy trying to play catch up at work and haven't had time to actually write. The trip was great. The weather was beautiful for the drive on Thursday. It took us 10 hrs because of wonderful Ohio and our orange barrels. Here's a few pics of the the scenery.


I called the Army 24hr line Friday morning to find out if Keith was on the roster for the flight that was suppose to come in. We aren't given that information until 12 hrs before they're due to arrive. They said yes so we prepared to head to the base. Keith also called us at 10am to let us know they landed. The welcome home ceremony was at a gym on the base. We were told to be there 2 hrs in advance and we thought things would be crazy like they were when we went to his graduation at Ft. Benning so we left even earlier. On the way out of the hotel we met a woman who works at the base who designated herself the official welcome home hugger. She hugs the soldiers that don't have anyone waiting for them when they arrive. I was kind of surprised by that and really impressed that someone gives so unselfishly of their time to do that for strangers.

Things went smoother than we figured so we arrive 2 1/2 hrs early! We walked around and here are some pictures of the cars in the parking lot.


We arrived at the gym and I'm thinking, "This isn't going to be big enough". Well, unfortunately it was. Brian estimated there were a little over 300 people in the gym. We could've arrived 5 minutes in advance and got a seat. That is so sad. I did a lot of crying over the weekend. I cried thinking about what it must feel like for the soldiers to come home and no one is there to greet them. It must be heartwrenching to see other soldiers and their families and not have anyone for you. I cried for the soldiers whose have family members could have come but chose not too. I also cried for the family members who wanted to be there but wasn't able. Yes, I cried alot!

The excitement level in the gym was at 150% and then they announced our soldiers were here. They arrived and came in and we were cheering and clapping and everything. Some people made signs. It was absolutely wonderful. Brian tooks pictures of the soldiers so people could get a perspective on how many there were.

Picture of Keith
Picture of us before the ceremony

The controlled chaos after they were dismissed
Keith and one of his squad leaders

And the 3 of us in the hotel room afterwards (Keith was trying to look tough)

Did I cry when I saw him? You bet! Did I hug him for a long time and he tried to break away and I wouldn't let him? You bet! Did I say to his squad leader, in a tear filled voice, "thanks for helping to keep him alive?" You bet!!! And you know what? I don't care. I was so greatful to Heavenly Father for keeping my little boy safe for me. I was totally overwelmed.

WE ARE SO TRULY BLESSED.







5 comments:

Kelly said...

Tears are flowing, overflowing actually...I am so happy and over joyed for you!! I feel so blessed too. I would've cried as I am now for all the reasons you did. What a wonderful feeling to be there to welcome him home- I know he was crying inside to see you too.
I love that there is a 'hugger' for those who aren't hugged- what a fantastic way to support the troops- a really wonderful way to love.
Can't wait to hear about it from you again- call me this week if you have time!!
I love you and all of your clan.

I am Laura said...

I am so happy for you and your family. That one car about their daddy coming home made me cry. God bless our troops! Welcome home Keith and thanks for your service to us.

Es Wells said...

tina, you are amazing. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be a military mom. I love it that you didn't pretend and just said what you wanted and held him longer, and
yes--cried. nothing is more real than the love we have for our children--bless you--for what you go through every moment he is away.

lish cook said...

I cried when I read this, for the reasons you said and because my baby isnt home,give that boy a hug from me....

cassanthemum said...

Well I am crying now!I am so happy For you and your family. and kieth is home safe. I wish I could see you at the shopping trip this year I am going to miss you guys.