Brian Keith Smith Jr., born March 2, 1988. He's named after Brian but we refer to him by his middle name. When Brian and I got married, my goal was to have maybe one child after we were married about 6 years. One of my friends told me that I would be pregnant before my 1 year anniversary. I said no way. Well, we were married in July of '86 and joined the church in Feb '87 and decided to have a baby in May and yes, we were pregnant by our first anniversary!
When I was pregnant with Keith, I had a feeling he was a boy (this was back in the days before ultrasounds to tell you the sex). I was so sure that we never came up with a girl's name. My brother was named after my father and I thought it would be an honor to have Keith named after his father. At first Brian resisted but I wore him down. Since my due date was March, I purchased a blue and white snow suit along with a Mickey Mouse sweat suit to bring him home in. I worked at an insurance office while I was pregnant and I went to the doctor office for my Monday morning weekly appointment. The midwife examined me and told me I would have a baby within 24 hours. We were so excited. I went to work and cleaned out my desk and told everyone. All the ladies were so excited for me.
I went back to our house and cleaned up in preparation of him arriving. I didn't start having contractions until later Monday night. I thought I was having bad contractions and that baby was coming so we rushed to the hospital around 12:30am. The midwife examined me and told me I was a 2 (yes 2) but I was fully effaced. I was thinking, "It gets worse?" Sure did! I was afraid of having an epidural so I chose to have medication to take the "edge" off of the pain. After having my water broke at a 5 I went into real labor and I had him at 8:55am. The midwife was right, I had a baby within 24 hours!I still remember the awe I felt when he was born and they laid him on my stomache. I couldn't believe that I had a part in creating this precious human being. He seemed so tiny and innocent. I never baby sat as a teenager and the nurses had to show me and Brian how to bathe him, diaper him and wrap him in a blanket. My blood pressure was high during and after the birth of Keith so I was kept in the hospital for a couple of days. No one told the nurses I wanted to breastfeed him so they gave him a bottle. I didn't know any better and by the time they figured it out, Keith had already decided he liked the bottle and didn't want anything to do with working for his food. This was the first sign of our strong willed little boy!
Keith has always had a beautiful smile. Even as a bay he could be crying (which he did alot of) and if something caught his attention, he would smile. He's always taken wonderful pictures and was and still is energetic. As a matter of fact, he actually starting running before he walked!!! Keith was a typical boy who loved anything rough and he especially loved playing sports. He is blessed because every sport he ever played, he excelled at.
Keith's teenage years were difficult for him. Because of that pesky free agency Heavenly Father has allowed us, he made quite a few bad choices. We are so proud that he decided to join the Army to protect our freedom and liberty. He is 20 years old and serving his country in Iraq. We are blessed that we have wonderful friends who pray daily for his safe return home. Thank you for letting me tell you a little about my wonderful young man!



1 comment:
I am tearing up- that was soooo nice! I loved reading every word! What a memory you have! I love Keith, and those are fantastic pictures and a great tribute to a great young man! Thanks for sharing!! I love you!
Post a Comment