Thursday, April 3, 2008

Oh The Drama

Before I begin, I need to tell you I am happy that Danessa is okay. This is tech week for the musical CCHS is putting on and Danessa is working deadly hours. She leaves the house every morning at 6:40 for her 7am class and she doesn't get home until after 11pm! I admire someone who can devote so much time to something (other than eating). She came home Tuesday and woke us up and said she hurt her arm. Well, being the good (sleepy) parents we are, Brian said you should ice it and let us know how it feels in the morning. Did I mention Brian said this? Of course I had fallen back to sleep by then! Danessa wakes up Wednesday morning in a lot of pain. We think her arm or wrist may be broken. Brian had to work so here's where the drama begins.


Danessa insists she has to go to school because she can't miss physics and euro. I told her I would call her an out of building for 8:45 and for her to meet me at the urgent care at 9. BTW, we had to switch cars because hers is a stick shift and she couldn't move her arm. Anyway, I arrive first and lo and behold, it doesn't open until 10. (What was that about urgent?) So I call our peditrician and asked if there is an urgent care they can recommend. They so graciously offer to just send us to Children's Hospital Radiology and they'll fax a script to have the Xrays taken. I said cool.

We call Brian to ask how to get to Children's, see I'm lucky that my kids have never really been sick. Well, for those of you who know downtown Columbus you'll understand when I say we missed the exit because there were no hospital signs and we tried to turn around at the next exit and got thoroughly lost. We finally asked a kind lady at a bus stop how to get to the hospital and we weren't that far away. Anyway, we go in and the Dr. office hasn't faxed in the script. So the nice receptionist (BTW, her name is Tina) called and spoke to someone who was rude but she faxed it. They call us back for the xray (I don't know how people butcher my baby's name. The xray tech called her Danesha, do you see an "H" in her name?) Anyway, we get it done and they told us the results would be ready for the Dr. to view in an hour.

Next, Danessa goes home and I go to work. The xrays should be ready at 11:30. I called the Dr. at 11:50 and 2:30 and was told it wasn't ready yet. I call at 4:35 and get the after hours answering service. I tell them I gave my office number for them to call but since I'm going home, they will need to call my home number. I get home, no call. I washed my hair with the phone beside the sink, I went to the bathroom with the phone, I even stayed up until 9:30 waiting for them to call and NO CALL.

Today, I am mad... I call at 9 and the receptionist was a different person and she was great. She handled the situation like a pro and I was able to tell her my frustrations without getting out of hand. She apologized and said someone would call me back within an 1/2 hr. Brian calls me 20 minutes later with the results. No break, just a bad bruise. What if it was broken? What kind of damage could she have done in the amount of time we waited? Anyway, I find out Brian had called them 10 min after I did this morning giving them heck and they called him back 10 min later and apologized for dropping the ball and gave him the results.

Like I said, at least it's not broken and it is doing better today but did I really need all that drama yesterday??????


2 comments:

Kelly said...

Now that is some drama!! I am so glad it isn't broken- that poor girl! Seriously, I have broken mine before (twice each arm, actually), and spraining them hurt worse! Tell her we are sorry. That is ridiculous how they dropped the ball on you! Urgent care centers are horrible, the one out here doesn't even open until 3pm! Seriously, what about the kid who needs help at say, 11am?! nope, wait until 3pm! Doctors and Xrays, just aren't always working for us, are they?! Sorry about the drama, tell the good dad he made up for the ice by calling to get the results- perhaps he is the "heavy" that you were for us on our shopping trip! Love ya!

Home Management Group said...

I once heard that "life is a terrible thing to happen to a person."