Three Fort Drum soldiers die in Iraq
# 8,067 of 8,765 Filed under: FORT DRUM, N.Y. , SOLDIERS KILLED
FORT DRUM, N.Y. (Map, News) -
The Department of Defense says three soldiers based at Fort Drum were killed in an attack by enemy forces in Iraq.
The soldiers, from Texas, Massachussetts and California, died June 4 of wounds suffered in Sharqat, Iraq, when their unit was attacked by small arms fire and hand grenades.
They were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division.
They're identified as Sgt. Shane P. Duffy, 22, of Taunton, Mass.; Spc. Jonathan D. A. Emard, 20, of Mesquite, Texas; and Sgt. Cody R. Legg, 23, of Escondido, Calif.
Duffy, who was on his second tour of duty in Iraq, leaves a wife and young child. He died less than two weeks after returning from a short visit home.
# 8,067 of 8,765 Filed under: FORT DRUM, N.Y. , SOLDIERS KILLED
FORT DRUM, N.Y. (Map, News) -
The Department of Defense says three soldiers based at Fort Drum were killed in an attack by enemy forces in Iraq.
The soldiers, from Texas, Massachussetts and California, died June 4 of wounds suffered in Sharqat, Iraq, when their unit was attacked by small arms fire and hand grenades.
They were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division.
They're identified as Sgt. Shane P. Duffy, 22, of Taunton, Mass.; Spc. Jonathan D. A. Emard, 20, of Mesquite, Texas; and Sgt. Cody R. Legg, 23, of Escondido, Calif.
Duffy, who was on his second tour of duty in Iraq, leaves a wife and young child. He died less than two weeks after returning from a short visit home.
Before Keith was sent to Iraq, I would see news blurps about another soldier dying or being wounded and I would feel bad yet it only affected me for a few moments. Now I read the articles and I grieve for those left behind. My worse fear is for my doorbell to ring and have military people standing on the doorstep. I think of the mothers/wives/children that these soldiers leave behind and it hurts to think that the only recognition they receive for offering their lives is a couple of paragraphs. Is that all their lives are worth to the American people?
I get angry when I read or hear politicians and people say that the loss of lives in this war is less than WWII or Vietnam. It doesn't matter because each number is a PERSON. Every 4 thousand plus soldiers who have died leaves a empty spot in the lives of someone.
I don't care what your position is on the war. These soldiers made a pledge and took an oath to follow the orders given to them by our commander in chief and that is what they are doing. I commend them for doing something that I am unwilling to do.
I am blessed to have found the gospel and I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for us. I know that he loves each and everyone of us. I know that he knows me personally and that he loves me more than I could ever imagine. I know the grief I have felt in my heart as a child who has had both parents pass away and I can't for a moment imagine the magnitude of grief that Heavenly Father endures.
When we are asked to pray for our troops, I think we should not only pray for them but for their love ones also. Whether their loved ones are in Iraq, Afganistan or wherever lets pray that they find the gospel and the inner peace they desire to help them through these trying times.

3 comments:
I was brought to tears when I read this, Tina. How emotionally draining it must be to be a military mom! What we learn in school about other wars may just be "history" but it is different when you are living in those times, as we are now with this war. Soon everyone will know someone who has been directly affected by this war. Then it might be a little harder to be here in America, sitting around complaining about the price of gas instead of honoring those who have given everything for us. I will remember Keith in my prayers(and you).
Oh, what a hard thing for you and for Keith. I am so sorry that you are faced with this and the fear you must have. I am so proud of Keith and his willingness to serve. Hang in there and know I am praying for you and Keith often.
I have been pondering all night what to say about this post. First of all, thank you for writing it- it brings the war all home for us and I appreciate that more than you know. I love Keith, and more than that, I am proud of the sacrifice he is making in my behalf- I too, wouldn't be able to do what he and so many are doing. I am eternally grateful for him keeping me safe here. I am so sorry for the loss of those sweet young men- my heart aches for those mothers and fathers- life is just not fair sometimes. I don't understand it, but know that there is a purpose to everything. Please know that you and your family is always in our prayers, and we love you so much!
Post a Comment